Sunday, November 2, 2014

‪#‎31nails2014‬: #9 Ombre & #30 A new technique


Hello everyone!


Making ombre nails by mixing one color with white is a new technique for me, and extra fun because the polish is color changing. And I think this is my favourite color, so this manicure could have been used for both day 9 Ombre, day 2 Favourite color, and day 30 A new technique. But I've already written about Day 2.

Look how different this mani looks in different light conditions:

Livingroom LED bulb (very bright)

Kitchen light (evening)

Outside (low winter light)


I've seen confusing use of the words "ombre nails" and "gradient nails", so I did a little research. I hope The Swatchaholic's definition of ombre nails is correct. I could have used 4 different polishes, but because this is a nail art challenge, I wanted to try to do it the hard way.

Inside Ott- Lite




I used the color changing polish Ruby Wing: Crowd Surf and mixed with IsaDora: #603 Tip White, just enough for each nail. In real life this looks very beautiful, but it's impossible to photograph... So the only way to see this, is to do it yourself.

Bathroom


Crowd Surf changes color when you go outside, but with modern lighting it's even more fun. I can even see the difference when I put the fingers under my IKEA LED lamp where it's a beautiful very bright (neon?) magenta, and take the hand away, and here, in front of the PC where it's darker.

Daylight: in the kitchen by the window
Evening: in the kitchen


So on some photos there's a nice ombre from pink to darker pink or lavender to violet, and on some photos it doesn't look like the ombre I tried to do because of the color changing polish.

Outside (low winter light)

Living room LED bulb?

Crowd Surf is on my top 20 list, but I haven't showed it here on the blog because I never feel my photos are good enough. It dries matte, but with a top coat it's extremely shiny. It's very eyecatching/ bright/ nearly neon, so if you wear it, you have to be ready to talk about your nails, because everyone will comment on them. I found it on eBay in spring 2013. It's from Ruby Wing's 2013 Summer Collection. Ruby Wing (look for Forsythe Cosmetic Group) and IsaDora are not tested on animals. :-)

Lani

8 comments:

  1. It looks good - and it's impressive that you mixed the color with white to make a really perfect ombre!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was interesting to try, and strange to work with a polish that behaved so different from craft paint, so it was a fun challenge for me. But difficult to photograph.

      Delete
  2. it looks amazing ! i love ombre nails ! Lani where did you catch up the snow ?
    i like that picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I forgot to mention that this was made in January, maybe because most of it was written then too. So all I had to do was open the door... I'm glad you like the snow picture!

      Delete
  3. Love the idea of mixing colors. They look so pretty altogether. Gotta try out ombre nails too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you enjoy mixing colors it's a fun thing to do. At least it's nice to have tried it once, and I think I learned a little. :-)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous ombre! Huge color change indeed with different lighting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it was much bigger than I had expected. :-)

      Delete